Brazilian waxing is a very delicate and special procedure that needs extra attention and preparation to go well.
For those of you who don’t know Brazilian waxing is one of the many types of bikini waxing and also the most popular type of bikini waxing. A Brazilian will remove all your pubic hair, and by all I mean ALL, back and front. If you are a woman, a Brazilian wax will take off the pubic hair around your vagina, including the labia, perineum and anus. If you are a man a Brazilian wax will take off the pubic hair around your penis, perineum, anus and buttocks.
Now that you have a clear picture on what a Brazilian wax will do to you, let’s get back to the purpose of this article. How can you properly prepare for a Brazilian and how you can make sure you and your boyfriend will be able to enjoy it?
- The first and most important step in my opinion is to do your homework. Know what a Brazilian wax is and what it implies before you get one. Talk to your friends who got one before, asks your beauty therapist anything you need to know, read articles like this one or watch a video on Brazilian waxing.
- Make your appointment so that you will get the Brazilian in the first week after your period. In the next 5 to 7 days after your period the skin is not that sensitive and the discomfort you will feel will be diminished. This is not extremely important, unless you have a hard time dealing with waxing in general.
- Your hair down there should have a specific length for the waxing to go well. By the book it should be a quarter of an inch. To make is easier for you to appreciate, it should be about the length of you eyebrows. You can achieve this length by shaving and letting it grow for three weeks or so.
- Don’t drink coffee or anything containing caffeine right before your appointment. Caffeine increases the skin sensitiveness which you definitely don’t want before a Brazilian wax. You can also take a pill or two of Ibuprofen 30 minutes or one hour before the waxing, to help you with the pain.
- Last but not least, wear something comfortable. After the Brazilian your skin will be pretty sensitive so tight clothes will only make it worst because of all the friction going on. Get a loose cotton panty.
That is about it. These are the most important tips I can thing of. Follow them and you will have a better waxing experience. For first timers there is always a higher discomfort involved but don’t panic, over time your hair will grow back finer and thinner, your skin will get used to the wax and the pain will go away.
Claire is the owner and editor of the Brazilian Wax Headquarters, a website offering valuable tips and advices on Brazilian waxing. She is a full time Product Manager and a part time beauty junkie blogger.